While shepherds watched their flocks by night
- hampton (robinson)
- Nahum Tate, 1625-1715
- MacNeil Robinson II, b. 1943
1. While shepherds watched their flocks by night, all seated on the ground, the angel of the Lord came down, and glory shone around.
2. “Fear not,” said he, for mighty dread had seized their troubled mind; “Glad tidings of great joy I bring to you and all mankind.
3. ”To you, in David's town, this day is born of David's line a Savior, who is Christ the Lord; and this shall be the sign:
4. “The heavenly Babe you there shall find to human view displayed, all meanly wrapped in swathing bands, and in a manger laid.”
5. Thus spake the seraph, and forthwith appeared a shining throng of angels praising God, who thus addressed their joyful song:
6. “All glory be to God on high and on earth be peace; good will henceforth from heaven to me begin and never cease.”