The Hymnal 1982 291
We plow the field and scatter
- wir pflugen
- Matthias Claudius, 1740-1815; Jane Montgomery Campbell, 1817-1878
- Johann Abraham Peter Schulz, 1747-1800
- 184.108.40.206 D with refrain
1. We plow the fields and scatter the good seed on the land, but it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand; he sends the snow in winter, the warmth to swell the grain, the breezes and the sunshine, and soft refreshing rain.
Refrain: All good gifts around us are sent from heaven above; then thank the Lord, O thank the Lord for all his love.
2. He only is the Maker of all things near and far; he paints the wayside flower, he lights the evening star; the wind and waves obey him, by him the birds are fed; much more to us, his children, he gives our daily bread. (Refrain)
3. We thank thee, then, O Father, for all things bright and good, the seedtime and the harvest, our life, our health, our food: the gifts we have to offer are what thy love imparts, but chiefly thou desirest our humble, thankful hearts. (Refrain)