The Hymnal 1982 271
The great forerunner of the morn
- ut queant laxis
- The Venerable Bede, 673-735; John Mason Neale, 1818-1866
- Richard Proulx, b. 1937
- Tune Source(s)
- Plainsong, Mode 2, Solesmes Version
1. The great forerunner of the morn, the herald of the Word, is born; and faithful hearts shall never fail with thanks and praise his light to hail.
2. With heavenly message Gabriel came, that John should be that herald's name, and with prophetic utterance told his actions great and manifold.
3. John, still unborn, yet gave aright his witness to the coming light; and Christ, the Sun of all the earth, fulfilled that witness at his birth.
4. His mighty deeds exalt his fame to greater than a prophet's name; of woman born shall never be a greater prophet than was he.
5. To God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit, Three in One, praise, honor, might, and glory be from age to age eternally.