The Hymnal 1982 267
Praise we the Lord this day
- st. george
- Henry John Gauntlett, 1805-1876
- Text Source(s)
- Hymns for the Festivals and Saints' Days of the Church of England, 1846, alt.
1. Praise we the Lord this day, this day so long foretold, whose promise shone with cheering ray on waiting saints of old.
2. The prophet gave the sign for faithful folk to read: a virgin born of David's line shall bear the promised seed.
3. Ask not how this should be, but worship and adore, like her whom heaven's Majesty came down to shadow o'er.
4. She meekly bowed her head to hear the gracious word, Mary, the pure and lowly maid, the favored of the Lord.
5. Most blest shall be her name in all the Church on earth, through whom that wondrous mercy came, the incarnate Savior's birth.