The Hymnal 1982 257
O Zion, open wide thy gates
- Jean Baptiste de Santeüil, 1630-1697; Edward Caswall, 1814-1878
- Tune Source(s)
- Hymnal 1982 (harm.)
1. O Zion, open wide thy gates, let symbols disappear; a priest and victim, both in one, the Truth himself, is here.
2. Aware of hidden deity, the lowly Virgin brings her newborn babe, with two young doves, her humble offerings.
3. The aged Simeon sees at last his Lord, so long desired, and Anna welcomes Israel's hope, with holy rapture fired.
4. But silent knelt the mother blest of the yet silent Word, and pondering all things in her heart, with speechless praise adored.
5. All glory to the Father be, all glory to the Son, all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee, while endless ages run.