The Hymnal 1982 242
How oft, O Lord, thy face hath shone
- William Bright, 1824-1901
- Jane Manton Marshall, b. 1924
1. How oft, O Lord, thy face hath shone on doubting souls whose wills were true! Thou Christ of Peter and of John, thou art the Christ of Thomas too.
2. He loved thee well, and calmly said, “Come, let us go, and die with him”; yet when thine Easter-news was spread, mid all its light his eyes were dim.
3. His brethren's word he would not take, but craved to touch those hands of thine: when thou didst thine appearance make, he saw, and hailed his Lord Divine.
4. He saw thee risen; at once he rose to full belief's unclouded height; and still through his confession flows to Christian souls thy life and light.
5. O Savior, make thy presence known to all who doubt thy Word and thee; and teach us in that Word alone to find the truth that sets us free.