The Hymnal 1982 235
Come sing, ye choirs exultant
- ach gott, vom himmelreiche
- Jackson Mason, 1833-1889
- Michael Praetorius, 1571-1621; George Ratcliffe Woodward, 1848-1934
- 220.127.116.11 D
- Text Source(s)
- Latin, 12th Cent.
1. Come sing, ye choirs exultant, those messengers of God, through whom the living Gospels came sounding all abroad! Whose voice proclaimed salvation that poured upon the night, and drove away the shadows, and filled the world with light.
2. In one harmonious witness the chosen four combine, while each his own commission fulfills in every line; as, in the prophet's vision from out the amber flame in mystic form and image four living creatures came.
3. Foursquare on this foundation the Church of Christ remains, a house to stand unshaken by floods or winds or rains. How blest the habitation of gospel liberty, where with a holy people God dwells in Unity.