The Hymnal 1982 225
Hail thee, festival day
- salve festa dies
- Venantius Honorius Fortunatus, 540?-600?
- Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1872-1958
- Text Source(s)
- The English Hymnal, 1906, alt. (tr.)
Refrain: Hail thee, festival day! blest day that art hallowed forever, day when the Holy Ghost shone in the world with God's grace.
1. Lo, in the likeness of fire, on those who await his appearing, he whom the Lord foretold suddenly, swiftly descends: (Refrain)
2. Forth from the Father he comes with sevenfold mystical offering, pouring on all human souls infinite riches of God: (Refrain)
3. Hark! for in myriad tongues Christ's own, his chosen apostles, preach to the ends of the earth Christ and his wonderful works: (Refrain)
4. Praise to the Spirit of Life, all praise to the fount of our being, light that dost lighten all, life that in all dost abide: (Refrain)