The Hymnal 1982 219
The Lord ascendeth up on high
- ach herr, du allerhöchster gott
- Arthur T. Russell, 1806-1874
- Michael Praetorius, 1571-1621
1. The Lord ascendeth up on high, the Lord hath triumphed gloriously, in power and might excelling; the grave and hell are captive led, lo! he returns, our glorious Head, to his eternal dwelling.
2. The heavens with joy receive their Lord, by saints, by angel hosts adored; O day of exultation! O earth, adore thy glorious King! His rising, his ascension sing with grateful adoration!
3. Our great High Priest hath gone before, now on his Church his grace to pour; and still his love he giveth. O may our hearts to him ascend; may all within us upward tend to him who ever liveth!