The Hymnal 1982 185
Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands
- christ lag in todesbanden
- Martin Luther, 1483-1546; Richard Massie, 1800-1887
- Tune Source(s)
- Geystliche gesagk Buchelyn, 1524 (melody); Hymnal 1982 (harm.)
1. Christ Jesus lay in death’s strong bands for our offenses given; but now at God’s right hand he stands, and brings us life from heaven; therefore let us joyful be, and sing to God right thankfully loud songs of alleluia! Alleluia!
2. It was a strange and dreadful strife when life and death contended; the victory remained with life; the reign of death was ended; stripped of power, no more he reigns, an empty form alone remains; his sting is lost forever! Alleluia!
3. So let us keep the festival to which the Lord invites us; Christ is himself the joy of all, the sun that warms and lights us; by his grace he doth impart eternal sunshine to the heart; the night of sin is ended! Alleluia!
4. Then let us feast this holy day on the true bread of heaven; the word of grace hath purged away the old and wicked leaven; Christ alone our souls will feed, he is our meat and drink indeed; faith lives upon no other! Alleluia!