The Hymnal 1982 150
Forty days and forty nights
- aus der tiefe rufe ich
- George Hunt Smyttan, 1822-1870
- Martin Herbst, 1654-1681; William Henry Monk, 1823-1889
1. Forty days and forty nights thou wast fasting in the wild; forty days and forty nights tempted, and yet undefiled.
2. Should not we thy sorrow share and from worldly joys abstain, fasting with unceasing prayer, strong with thee to suffer pain?
3. Then if Satan on us press, Jesus, Savior, hear our call! Victor in the wilderness, grant we may not faint or fall!
4. So shall we have peace divine: holier gladness ours shall be; round us, too, shall angels shine, such as ministered to thee.
5. Keep, O keep us, Savior dear, ever constant by thy side; that with thee we may appear at the eternal Eastertide.