The Hymnal 1982 143
The glory of these forty days
- erhalt uns, herr
- Maruice F. Bell, 1862-1947
- Johann Sebastian Bach, 1685-1750
- Text Source(s)
- Latin, 6th cent.
1. The glory of these forty days we celebrate with songs of praise; for Christ, by whom all things were made, himself has fasted and has prayed.
2. Alone and fasting Moses saw the loving God who gave the law; and to Elijah, fasting, came the steeds and chariots of flame.
3. So Daniel trained his mystic sight, delivered from the lions’ might; and John, the Bridegroom’s friend, became the herald of Messiah’s name.
4. Then grant us, Lord, like them to be full oft in fast and prayer with thee; our spirits strengthen with thy grace, and give us joy to see thy face.
5. O Father, Son, and Spirit blest, to thee be every prayer addressed, who art in three-fold Name adored, from age to age, the only Lord.