The Hymnal 1982 137
O wondrous type! O vision fair
- John Mason Neale, 1818-1866
- William Knapp, 1698-1768; James Turle, 1802-1882; Sydney Hugo Nicholson, 1875-1947
- Text Source(s)
- Latin, 15th cent.; Hymns Ancient and Modern, 1861 (tr.)
- Tune Source(s)
- Hymns Ancient and Modern, 1875 (harm.)
1. O wondrous type! O vision fair of glory that the church may share, which Christ upon the mountain shows, where brighter than the sun he glows!
2. With Moses and Elijah nigh the incarnate Lord holds converse high; and from the cloud, the Holy One bears record to the only Son.
3. With shining face and bright array, Christ deigns to manifest today what glory shall be theirs above who joy in God with perfect love.
4. And faithful hearts are raised on high by this great vision's mystery; for which in joyful strains we raise the voice of prayer, the hymn of praise.
5. O Father, with the eternal Son, and Holy Spirit, ever One, vouchsafe to bring us by thy grace to see thy glory face to face.