The Hymnal 1982 126
The people who in darkness walked
- John Morison, 1749-1798
- Thomas Ravenscroft, 1592?-1635?
1. The people who in darkness walked have seen a glorious light; on them broke forth the heavenly dawn who dwelt in death and night.
2. To hail thy rising, Sun of life, the gathering nations come, joyous as when reapers bear their harvest treasures home.
3. To us the promised Child is born, to us the Son is given; him shall the tribes of earth obey, and all the hosts of heaven.
4. His name shall be the Prince of Peace forevermore adored, the Wonderful, the Counselor, the Mighty God and Lord.
5. His power increasing still shall spread, his reign no end shall know; justice shall guard his throne above, and peace abound below.