The Hymnal 1982 110
Venite adoremus Dominum
- venite adoremus
- Charles Winfred Douglas, 1867-1944; Leo Sowerby, 1895-1968
- Irregular with refrain
- Text Source(s)
- Unknown source, 19th cent.
1. The snow lay on the ground, the stars shone bright, when Christ our Lord was born on Christmas night. Venite adoremus Dominum. Venite adoremus Dominum.
Refrain: Venite adoremus Dominum. Venite adoremus Dominum.
2. 'Twas Mary, daughter pure of holy Anne, that brought into this world the God made man. She laid him in a stall at Bethlehem; the ass and oxen shared the roof with them. (Refrain)
3. Saint Joseph, too, was by to tend the child; to guard him, and protect his mother mild; the angels hovered round, and sang this song, Venite adoremus Dominum. (Refrain)
4. And thus that manger poor became a throne; for he whom Mary bore was God the Son. O come, then, let us join the heavenly host; to praise the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. (Refrain)